Waymo Orders 500 More Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids For Free Rides

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splitmitten

Waymo Orders 500 More Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids For Free Rides

This is pretty cool. You could use it to commute to work everyday. For some that would take a big chunk out of the cost to commute plus time. For example, women could put on make up or even do their hair (minus any smelly products) rather than drive to work. I don't think there is a money making plan for this. I am assuming that it is all about word of mouth and taking the scary stigma off of self driving cars. Eventually there must be a plan to use the Pacifica as a driverless taxi service or something in Phoenix but for now I think it's only to get people used to it and there is no better way than offering something for free :D

Late last year, Fiat Chrysler Automobile sent 100 specially designed Pacifica Hybrids to Waymo (the company built out of Google’s self-driving car test project). Today, we learn that Waymo wants 500 more of these autonomous plug-in hybrids for use in Arizona. Soon, if you’re adventurous, you’ll be able to ride in one of 600 self-driving Pacifica Hybrids in the greater Phoenix metropolitan area.

Waymo says that, “As an early rider, you’ll be able to use our self-driving cars to go places you frequent every day, from work, to school, to the movies and more. Then, you’ll be able to share your thoughts and experiences with our team to help shape the future of how our self-driving cars will work.”

For starters, at least, there will be a Waymo employee in the driver’s seat, but this person is only there for emergency situations, and the car will actually drive itself. The Early Rider program will also give riders access to self-driving Lexus RX450h vehicles. If you’re accepted into the program, you can ride for free as much as you like, Waymo says.

Self-driving Pacifica Hybrids are not available for sale to the general public. For one thing, the minivan’s “electrical, powertrain, chassis and structural systems” all had to be modified to make room for Waymo’s self-driving technology that is needed to make these people haulers haul people on their own. The tech is based on those quirky bubble cars (and others) that Google was testing, and which drove themselves for almost three million miles. That’s not enough to get the cars ready for prime time just yet, but FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne said in a statement that this deal, “has been advantageous for both companies as we continue to work together to fully understand the steps needed to bring self-driving vehicles to market.”

Exactly how Waymo will make money from a ride hailing deal like this is not yet defined. Waymo CEO John Krafcik told USAToday:

“I’d say our business model on this is TBD (to be determined), and the most important thing that’s going on here is learning more about how people would actually use such a service. It’s our first interaction with real people in our cars. This is a big, big step for us.”

Waymo tech in any car is a great news. This tech is even better than Tesla. But how much they really can do from the in-house testing stage?

casparfelic00 said:
Waymo tech in any car is a great news. This tech is even better than Tesla. But how much they really can do from the in-house testing stage?

I know, right? Remote monitoring with empty seat drive, Tesla is nowhere near this tech. But Waymo may not be in the market before 2-3 years at least.

blacksmith said:
casparfelic00 said:

I know, right? Remote monitoring with empty seat drive, Tesla is nowhere near this tech. But Waymo may not be in the market before 2-3 years at least.

Aware of that. They are not selling to the general public yet. This tech is still applied on Google's guinea pigs.

blacksmith said:
casparfelic00 said:

How would they? Tesla is all over Robotaxies. This is where they really focus on for now.

I can't find the reason they chose the Pacifica. I had no idea how important Waymo was until I read this post and looked it up.

jimmyjon said:
I can't find the reason they chose the Pacifica. I had no idea how important Waymo was until I read this post and looked it up.

Waymo is very new. But a futuristic tech enthusiast might hear its name. It is gaining popularity very quickly. According to Forbes, this might the future of robotic vehicles.

Here is a follow up article on that. No need to follow up because the Pacifica was going to be used or at least we assumed this by the original article

Maybe I missed something and there was question about it

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/13/waymo-self-driving-car-replaces-firefly-bubble-design-adapted-chrysler-alphabet

I'm just not sold on it yet. Plus I have a vehicle because I want to drive it. If I didn't want to drive I would take a taxi or bus or another form of transportation where someone else is responsible for the driving.

Back