Bloomberg: Google’s self-driving tech will be in 2017 Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivans

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrow01

Check this out guys. This is a really exciting news for Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid forum members!

Bloomberg: Google’s self-driving tech will be in 2017 Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivans

Four months ago, Chrysler unveiled its 2017 Pacifica minivan range at the Detroit Auto Show. If a report from Bloomberg is anything to go by, this Pacifica Hybrid range could feature Google’s self-driving technology, bringing weeks/months of rumors to fruition. The deal could be signed by Tuesday…

According to the publication, Fiat Chrysler and Google plan to work on dozens of self-driving prototypes, based on the aforementioned Pacifica minivan. This first phase of testing will then lead to the technology being built-in to the minivan when it launches later this year.

As recent as last week, the Wall Street Journal (and AutoExtremist) both stated that Google and Fiat Chrysler were nearing a deal to combine the Mountain View company’s autonomous nous with the car-maker’s vehicles. Today’s report from Bloomberg corroborates those rumors and adds more detail.

This is a big deal for Google and the autonomous vehicle market as a whole. Although the search giant has tested its technology in various car manufacturers’ vehicles, this would be the first time its self-driving expertise would be incorporated in to a vehicle that’s available for the public to buy.

Interestingly, it’s noted that this deal doesn’t include an exclusivity agreement, meaning Google is free to talk to other car-makers about using its tech. This perhaps explains why rumors were circling earlier in the year that Ford was also talking with Google about using its self-driving software. Likewise, Fiat Chrysler is free to test other companies’ autonomous tech. An agreement between the two companies could be finalized as early as Tuesday, although both companies refused to comment on the rumor when approached for a response.

The car itself, as revealed in the launch, features a 16kWh battery with an all-electric range of 30 miles, ensuring it can get up to 80 miles per gallon during city driving. This battery is hidden under the second row of seats and is paired with a gas-powered 3.6-liter V6 engine, which only kicks in when the battery runs flat. A battery, incidentally, which can charge up to full capacity within 2 hours of being plugged in to its 240-volt charger.

With Google’s self-driving tech working alongside the pre-existing Surround View camera, ParkSense parking assist, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning, the 2017 Pacifica could be the best glimpse at the future of driving we’ve seen from Fiat Chrysler so far.

That's such a great news! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait for the self-driving technology! It's great news that Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivans is incorporating that technology in the car!

Can't wait for this self driving technology. It's gonna be awesome. Thanks for sharing with Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid forum!

mark1tan said:
Can't wait for this self driving technology. It's gonna be awesome. Thanks for sharing with Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid forum!

Are you a fan of self driving tech? I'm still unsure about this.

Arrow01 said:
mark1tan said:

Are you a fan of self driving tech? I'm still unsure about this.

So far what I've read about the self-driving technology- it'll help avoid accidents so yeah, I'm optimistic.

There are pros and cons of the self- driving technology. Many people are for it, many are against. But what you can't deny is that this is the technology of future- it's gonna take over, whether you like it or not.

Self-driving technology is suspicious especially after the Fatal Tesla incident

I think it's important to keep in mind that the self driving technology is like autopilot on a plane , you still need the actual pilot
Self-driving technology is just an added bonus of protection. I'm sure it will be perfected by the time vehicles like the Pacifica PHEV utilize it

A vehicle on auto-pilot in my opinion means statistically it's inevitable an accident is going to happen

The projections for self-driving technology in models will be to add 7 to $10,000 per vehicle

I've read reports that have said several companies are predicting 2020 is the year that their self-drivin technology will come out if this is the case cars and vehicles like Chrysler Pacifica is ahead of the game

Aidan said:
A vehicle on auto-pilot in my opinion means statistically it's inevitable an accident is going to happen

Well, if statistic is to go by, then airplanes are on auto pilot and they rarely see accidents!

I love this type of technology and even that we can produce this type of Technology but I think I'll wait a little bit and let them iron out the wrinkles before completely trusting it

Ralph Nader disclosed that he feels fully autonomous cars won't replace human drivers they are not a good alternative he feels that there are far too many complex variables that are beyond the range and scope of silicon Valley's algorithms he does support a semi-autonomous capabilities in vehicles

A mass amount of testing is being done on autonomous vehicles. It will be interesting to see what it is they have to tweak. A lot of Articles have put a very interesting perspective ... how do pedestrians react to self-driving Vehicles how do self-driving Vehicles react on Bridges etc

Has Chrysler released any more up-to-date information on their self driving technology and how much they are planning to instituted it and how quickly?

Arrow01 said:
Aidan said:

Well, if statistic is to go by, then airplanes are on auto pilot and they rarely see accidents!

An airplane doesn't have to deal with pedestrians congested traffic traffic signs traffic lights trees lamps bowls Ect so statistically it wouldn't be an equal comparison

I really can hardly wait to see what owners have to say on this and how safe they feel the technology is

Aidan said:
Arrow01 said:
Aidan said:

An airplane doesn't have to deal with pedestrians congested traffic traffic signs traffic lights trees lamps bowls Ect so statistically it wouldn't be an equal comparison

Perhaps you're right- the comparison isn't right. But self-driven cars are the future and they are here to stay- there's no denying that.

Back