FCA Delivers 100 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Minivans to Waymo for Self-driving Test Fleet

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 72

http://electriccarsreport.com/2016/12/fca-delivers-100-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-minivans-waymo-self-driving-test-fleet/

The vehicles are currently being outfitted with Waymo’s fully self-driving technology, including a purpose-built computer and a suite of sensors, telematics and other systems, and will join Waymo’s self-driving test fleet in early 2017. Waymo and FCA also revealed today the first images of the fully self-driving Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid vehicle.

This first-of-its kind collaboration brought engineers from FCA and Waymo together to integrate Waymo’s fully self-driving system into the all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan thereby leveraging each company’s individual strengths and resources. Engineering modifications to the minivan’s electrical, powertrain, chassis and structural systems were implemented to optimize the Pacifica Hybrid for Waymo’s fully self-driving technology.

Self-driving-pacifica-hybrid_1.jpg

I seriously wonder how far autonomous vehicles will go. Are they going to become like standard air conditioning?

On another thread an article states the self driving taxi type vehicle will only take one passenger. Surely with a van there will be more than one passenger at a time;)

ginforce said:
I seriously wonder how far autonomous vehicles will go. Are they going to become like standard air conditioning?

:lol: no doubt at this point the self-driving technology is very heavy I'm not sure using electric vehicles with heavy technology components is the right thing to do

m16charged said:
ginforce said:

:lol: no doubt at this point the self-driving technology is very heavy I'm not sure using electric vehicles with heavy technology components is the right thing to do

A bit ironic isn't it?;)

An interesting perspective was brought to my attention about self driving vehicles this weekend. We can source out and read a lot of articles on how the self driving vehicle will change cities. We have excellent videos of the autonomous cars progress and have more of a tangible understanding of how self driving vehicles could one day take over the world:) During rush hours or busy hours what happens when a self driving car is trying to take a left. The amount of pedestrians will surely stop it from doing so. Go into any major city during the rush hours and a massive amount of pedestrians cross the street continually. Do the self driving vehicles have software to know when they can turn? I think it might lead to the self driving car waiting endlessly to take a left . How about during large sporting events ... same scenerio hundreds maybe even thousands of fans pilling into the streets before and after the game - what will the self driving car do? I predict nothing - wait until there are no hazards.. Just a thought ;)

I like this video of the Chevy Bolt because it shows us how cautious the self driving can be on busy city streets. What is a whole lot of pedestrians were involved or a ton of traffic - I would like to see what the self driving car would do

https://youtu.be/88k7P3EmRis

Back