A week with the Chrysler Pacifica: Still an unattractive box, but inside is a different story

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmYK

Consider the poor, much maligned minivan for a minute.

Almost from the moment Chrysler’s first “Magic Wagon” – the Dodge Caravan – hit the street in 1984, someone, somewhere, took one look and said, “That’s not cool.” Despite its simple brilliance as an affordable, comfortable, practical mover of people and goods, it has been mocked mercilessly for its decidedly unfashionable looks.

Related video: Can the minivan be cool again? Chrysler betting $2-billion on it

Despite this, the minivan became an instant sales sensation, with names like the Chrysler Town and Country, Chevy Astro, Ford Windstar, Nissan Quest, Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey overpopulating suburban driveways everywhere for the next two decades.

Hell, I had one. Two actually. A leased 2004 Pontiac Montana, replaced four years later with a 2008 Pontiac Montana SV6, also leased. And I hated it. For the entire eight years. Sure, it was perfect for those two rite-of-passage family road trips to Florida, for ferrying my oldest son to soccer tournaments, my youngest to his football games and, finally, for carting off the oldest to university. However, it made me feel like a 60-year-old man behind the wheel. Vanity, thy name is Darren. I felt uncool. Well, more uncool than usual.

Darren McGee
Fast-forward to today. The minivan fell out of favour a few years back, shuffled to the side, and seemingly destined for the historical junkyard because of the rising popularity of slick SUVs.

But wait. Hold the eulogy.

Minivan sales, according to Bloomberg, are up significantly this year in the United States. In Canada, the Dodge Grand Caravan ($22,395 base) sold 6,368 units in April, a 76-per-cent year-over-year sales increase. It is Canada’s bestselling minivan and the 10th bestselling vehicle over all year-to-date, enjoying an unexpected renaissance.

Which brings us to the newest player on the scene: The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, here just in time to move my youngest son to university.

At first blush, I still don’t love it. Try as Chrysler might to give the Pacifica Touring-L more appealing lines – to think outside the box, so to speak – it’s still just that: an oversized, unattractive box. Painting this particular one silver doesn’t help. Yes, form follows functionality. I get it. No one buys a minivan because they wish to be noticed.

Inside, however, is a different story. The Pacifica is brimming with goodies and gadgets: infotainment connectivity, power outlets, cup holders and storage space. The seats are big and comfortable, the ergonomics sensible, with everything smartly laid out. The look is surprisingly stylish.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-inside-is-a-different-story/article31880838/

Again, as parents we know the minivan is not sexy but to at least have a good driving experience once on the inside is something a lot of people are looking forward to

This is a huge selling point for me. I have already gone on record that I am not a big fan of the exterior look of the mini van but with the Pacifica at least when you are driving it you can get away from the exterior look and enjoy the ride. I guess I will know for sure when I test drive one

Back