Chrysler Pacifica represents body engineering breakthrough: FCA

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mich

The Windsor-built 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan leads Fiat Chrysler’s efforts to expand the use of higher-strength steels across its product lineup, the company says.

“Our commitment to improving safety is unwavering,” Mike Dahl, head of vehicle safety and regulatory compliance, said in a statement released Thursday. “We are continually exploring the use of new materials and components that will boost the performance of our vehicles, for the benefit of our customers.”

Compared with body structures of the vehicles they replaced, higher-strength steel content has increased more than 53 per cent in the all-new, mainstream-segment vehicles introduced by FCA U.S. since model year 2012, the company said. “These materials contribute to improved crashworthiness as well as weight reduction, which helps improve fuel efficiency.”

Among the vehicles launched most recently, two have earned top safety ratings from the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: the Fiat 500X small crossover and the Chrysler 200 mid-size sedan. Higher-strength steel content levels in their body structures total 74 per cent and 66 per cent, respectively.

Advanced high-strength steel accounts for 38 per cent of the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica’s body structure — the highest such concentration in any FCA vehicle. The 500X boasts the next-highest level at 28.3 per cent.

Higher-strength steels are lighter than conventional grades, so vehicles may be lighter and have improved fuel efficiency. The Pacifica is 250 pounds lighter than the vehicle it replaced, and more than half of that weight savings is attributed to body structure, FCA said.
http://windsorstar.com/business/loc...-represents-body-engineering-breakthrough-fca

Mich said:
The Windsor-built 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan leads Fiat Chrysler’s efforts to expand the use of higher-strength steels across its product lineup, the company says.

“Our commitment to improving safety is unwavering,” Mike Dahl, head of vehicle safety and regulatory compliance, said in a statement released Thursday. “We are continually exploring the use of new materials and components that will boost the performance of our vehicles, for the benefit of our customers.”

Compared with body structures of the vehicles they replaced, higher-strength steel content has increased more than 53 per cent in the all-new, mainstream-segment vehicles introduced by FCA U.S. since model year 2012, the company said. “These materials contribute to improved crashworthiness as well as weight reduction, which helps improve fuel efficiency.”

Among the vehicles launched most recently, two have earned top safety ratings from the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: the Fiat 500X small crossover and the Chrysler 200 mid-size sedan. Higher-strength steel content levels in their body structures total 74 per cent and 66 per cent, respectively.

Advanced high-strength steel accounts for 38 per cent of the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica’s body structure — the highest such concentration in any FCA vehicle. The 500X boasts the next-highest level at 28.3 per cent.

Higher-strength steels are lighter than conventional grades, so vehicles may be lighter and have improved fuel efficiency. The Pacifica is 250 pounds lighter than the vehicle it replaced, and more than half of that weight savings is attributed to body structure, FCA said.
http://windsorstar.com/business/loc...-represents-body-engineering-breakthrough-fca

I'm not really good with engineering, how does the 38^ high steel strength help?

blacksmith said:
Mich said:

I'm not really good with engineering, how does the 38^ high steel strength help?

It makes the car more hit resistant.

Yeah the vehicle would be more hit resistant + based on the engineer's calculations of where they allocated that 38% it would therefore increase the resistance in weaker areas

Mich said:
blacksmith said:
Mich said:

It makes the car more hit resistant.

Thanks.

blacksmith said:
Aidan said:
The scientific breakdown of this would be interesting

I'd love to read up on that or better yet watch a 'how things are made' type video.

Yeah better yet a video that shows the comparison between the old engineering and the improved engineering in crash tests

Admittedly I'm a little bit fixated on this engineering right now. Brought it up with my nephew who is a structural engineer and had an interesting discussion about it. The discussion was pretty generalize so not much different information than in the Forum

jimmyjon said:
blacksmith said:
Aidan said:

I'd love to read up on that or better yet watch a 'how things are made' type video.

Yeah better yet a video that shows the comparison between the old engineering and the improved engineering in crash tests

Totally agree with the video idea

jimmyjon said:
blacksmith said:
Aidan said:

Ahhh great minds think alike :lol:

Aidan said:
jimmyjon said:
blacksmith said:

Yeah. (So do lazy minds who prefer watching a video over reading a whole article! ) :lol:

Higher strength steels are lighter. So vehicles may be lighter and have improved fuel efficiency. Thats pretty cool. They said the Pacifica is 250 pounds lighter than the vehicle it replaced that's a lot I would think.

blacksmith said:
Aidan said:
jimmyjon said:

Yeah. (So do lazy minds who prefer watching a video over reading a whole article! ) :lol:

hahaha I admit give me a video over reading and figuring it out in my head after a long day of work anytime :lol:

Back