LG Chem / Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Contract Marks A New First For Battery Maker

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksmith

Following the announcement that LG Chem will supply battery packs and battery management systems for the upcoming Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan, Green Car Congress uncovered one additional fact related to the deal.

As Green car Congress points out:

“The agreement with FCA US marks the first time LG Chem will engineer and manufacture a complete battery pack in Michigan for a volume production North American PHEV.”

That’s a big deal for LG Chem’s Michigan facility, as it was once the site of a lot of controversy.

Green Car Congress adds:

“The Pacifica Hybrid, scheduled to be launched in late 2016 and introduced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, will be the first mass-produced hybrid minivan in North America. LG Chem will supply the completed battery packs, which integrate Li-ion cells, a number of electronic components, and control software.”
http://insideevs.com/lg-chem-chrysler-pacifica-phev-contract-marks-a-new-first-for-battery-maker/

I read that Chrysler is avoiding the term plug-in hybrid as they fear potential buyers might be put off by the complexities of a plug-in vehicle

Sam said:
I read that Chrysler is avoiding the term plug-in hybrid as they fear potential buyers might be put off by the complexities of a plug-in vehicle

But it's still a PHEV! People who'll buy it, will at least inquire about that much!

I think we should all buy stocks and lithium hahaha. Seeing that it's cheaper to mine new lithium then to recycle the lithium out of the batteries lol

tcdn said:
I think we should all buy stocks and lithium hahaha. Seeing that it's cheaper to mine new lithium then to recycle the lithium out of the batteries lol

But recycling is more eco-friendly.

Recycling is more eco-friendly but we are not going to find a lot of lithium being recycled as it is much cheaper to just mine new lithium this is an ongoing issue with the pros and cons of feeling completely solid in our environmental stewardship because of an electric vehicle there is some downfalls still that need to be addressed in order to not have a negative effect on the Earth

mark1tan said:
Sam said:

But it's still a PHEV! People who'll buy it, will at least inquire about that much!

Plus there is not a lot of complexities in using a plug in :)

Sam said:
mark1tan said:
Sam said:

Plus there is not a lot of complexities in using a plug in :)

Exactly! I recently read an article that states that people are preferring PHEVs over hybrids. And Chrysler Pacifica forum has articles on sales numbers and those are quite good.

Back