Pacifica labelled as a hybrid not phev

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogas

With cars anything powered by gas and electricity is a hybrid. For me the hybrid seems the less effective between the plug in and non plug in hybrids but that is not always the case. Ultimately 2 energy sources = hybrid - 1 energy source = something else but not hybrid. I don't understand why they are not calling it a phev but a hybrid. I have read they thought the term phev would scare people away but for me it is the exact opposite. I feel I understand the phev more than the non plug in hybrid. I guess when the first gas hybrids came out in the late 90s the battery technology wasn't in place and would have probably required a lot more space overall.

Scare people away? I wonder why is that. PHEV is always a better option, isn't it? It can substitute electricity from the grid for gasoline. Pacifica can go 30 miles only on electricity. So this sounds good.

Can anyone in Chrysler Pacifica forum point me out what's the catch?

ChrysPac05 said:
Scare people away? I wonder why is that. PHEV is always a better option, isn't it? It can substitute electricity from the grid for gasoline. Pacifica can go 30 miles only on electricity. So this sounds good.

Plug-in hybrids are not necessarily better than regular hybrids. If you consider environmental effects, then phev-s are definitely better. But there are other aspects to think about. Hybrids are cheaper compared to phev-s. They are somewhat 10%-20% cheaper. On the other hand, phev-s can give you a brake-free long ride. You may never need to stop in the gas station, unless you planning for a really long ride. So it basically depends on your priority.

casparfelic00 said:
ChrysPac05 said:

Plug-in hybrids are not necessarily better than regular hybrids. If you consider environmental effects, then phev-s are definitely better. But there are other aspects to think about. Hybrids are cheaper compared to phev-s. They are somewhat 10%-20% cheaper. On the other hand, phev-s can give you a brake-free long ride. You may never need to stop in the gas station, unless you planning for a really long ride. So it basically depends on your priority.

PHEVs use Li-ion batteries which increases the purchase cost. But once you buy it, there is no gasoline cost. Pacifica can go on 30 miles after a single charge session. And long journey will not be a problem if you have the power source to charge it up, which doesn't take much time. I feel the ride is more convenient and brake-free if it is on a PHEV. And it saves the environment too.

Back