Electric Cars Won't Replace Combustion Cars Until These Two Things Happen

Chrysler Pacifica Forum

Help Support Chrysler Pacifica Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidan

Standardized Power Modules
1. Battery standardization across all electric carmakers, ideally globally.

Now, let me clarify something here: when I talk about standardization, I’m referring to four main things: exterior physical dimensions, electronic connector standardization, battery electrical output (volts/amps), and safety standards for the external housing construction.

Internally, the batteries can generate electricity in any way the company wants, even if that way isn’t technically a battery. As long as the size fits the standard and what comes out of the terminals meets the voltage and amperage requirements, the guts inside can be lithium batteries, fuel cells, a micro nuclear reactor, sterling engine, or, perversely, even a internal-combustion generator of some sort.

2. Removal or replacement should ideally be done with a pallet jack
2. Batteries for electric cars need to be swappable. And not with expensive, elaborate equipment– for battery swapping to work it needs to be cheap, easy and ubiquitous.

The Tesla patent for battery swapping is comprehensive and well thought-out, but it requires some very specialized lifts and other equipment to perform the 32-step process required to remove and replace the batteries:

See entire article at link below

http://jalopnik.com/electric-cars-wont-replace-combustion-cars-until-these-1788294332

It would be a great step forward to have standardization of batteries... and if they could be charged quickly, that would go a long way as well.

Production of the electric vehicle still depends on the availability of batteries it is great to put grandiose projections out there about what countries will become all-electric but in all honesty if the main component the battery is not available none of these goals will be met

Back